Boston Art Commission

« back

Click on thumbnails to view additional images of this piece:

The New North Meeting House

Artist:

Unknown

Location:

401 Hanover Street  

Location

401 Hanover Street
United States
42° 21' 55.3716" N, 71° 3' 9.7128" W

Neighborhood:

North End

Type:

Memorial Plaque

Year:

1930

Medium:

Bronze

Collection:

Funders:

Description:

The front facade of the Church of St. Stephen carries companion bronze plaques - one above, the other below - that record the history of the New North Meeting House.  Built in 1714, it was the second church in the North End. It was enlarged in 1730, and then rebuilt in 1802 to a design by Charles Bulfinch. This history is shown in the top plaque, placed by the City of Boston in 1930.  The bottom plaque continues the story: in 1862, the meeting house became St. Stephen Roman Catholic Church. In 1965, Richard Cardinal Cushing, the Archbishop of Boston, sponsored a renovation of the church, restoring it to Bulfinch’s design.

Audio Description: