Mission Statement of the Boston Art Commission
The Boston Art Commission, an independent board of arts leaders charged with the care and custody of all artworks on City of Boston property, advocates for the creation of innovative and transformative art and promotes its accessibility to enrich the lives of Boston’s diverse citizens and visitors. The Art Commission advises, supports, and consults with artists and communities, City departments, and others. It commissions, approves, and conserves the City of Boston’s collection of art and historical artifacts.
Public Art Vision
The Boston Art Commission promotes innovative and transformative artworks that:
- Engage the community,
- Enrich/ enliven the urban environment,
- Are driven by a clear artistic vision,
- Enhance the diversity of the existing collection,
- Respond directly to their specific environment,
- And possess durability appropriate to the lifespan of the work.
Boston Art Commission public meetings are held on the second Tuesday afternoon of each month.
- Read the Boston Art Commission’s City Ordinance
- Read the Powers and Duties assigned to the Boston Art Commission