Mission Statement of the Boston Art Commission
First assembled in 1890, the Boston Art Commission advocates for the creation of innovative and transformative art and promotes its accessibility to enrich the lives of Boston’s diverse citizens and visitors.
The Art Commission:
- Advises through public forums, supports, and consults with artists and communities, City departments, and others;
- Commissions artworks that excite, challenge, and inspire;
- Approves proposals for art on City of Boston property that meet the Commission’s Criteria for Excellence;
- And conserves the City of Boston’s collection of art and historical artifacts.
Criteria for Excellence
The Boston Art Commission promotes innovative and transformative artworks that:
- Engage the community,
- Enrich/ enliven the urban environment,
- Are driven by a clear artistic vision,
- Enhance the diversity of the existing collection,
- Respond directly to their specific environment,
- And possess durability appropriate to the lifespan of the work.
Boston Art Commission public meetings are held on the second Tuesday afternoon of each month.
- Read the Boston Art Commission’s City Ordinance
- Read the Powers and Duties assigned to the Boston Art Commission